Episode 83: “2017 Predictions”
To start the year, we look into the crystal ball to make our bold predictions for 2017. Are we crazy? Do you agree with any of them? Listen in and let us know your thoughts! #thelazycouch
Episode 83. Recorded Thursday 5 January 2017.
00:00 – Intro
- Geoff finally has ‘hands’ in Oculus VR with the Touch controllers arriving | Tech Radar review
- New map in Overwatch featuring dangerous cars | The Verge
05:00 – Our fearless predictions for 2017
We have taken the DTNS approach of coming up with predictions for the year. The rules are that the prediction has to be quantifiable and be able to be negatively verified. e.g. – no ‘wearables will be the next big thing’.
- Android ‘O’ will be called one of the following – Oatmeal, Oreo, Ovaltine
- Amazon will arrive in Australia proper in 2017
- Amazon (Jeff Bezos) will purchase Twitter in 2017
- The ‘Google Assistant’ will get a new name and be re-branded – e.g. no more ‘OK Google’
- In 2017, there will be a headline about some new tech or incident, equating it to something that happened in the show ‘Black Mirror’
- ‘Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2’ will double its output of Vol. 1 by raking in at least $1.406bn in the box office. It will be the 2nd biggest Marvel Studios film to date.
The Lazy Couch is a geek culture podcast hosted by Kelvin Lee and Geoff Kim, based out of Sydney Australia. Topics range from the latest trends in technology to comic book movies and all things geeky. If you enjoyed listening to us, you can help the show by leaving us a review on iTunes or get in touch with us on @thelazycouch.
The intro music is ‘Helix Nebula’ by Anamanaguchi.