Tech had a depressing year in 2017. Perhaps that showed in the number of episodes we did this year. As we look ahead to a more hopeful 2018, we summize the year that was, warts and all, and chat about the trends and memes for 2017. We review our favourite things including movies and apps and discuss how we went in our predictions at the start of the year. Spoiler alert: we sucked! Be sure to listen out for our 2018 predictions, as we set ourselves up for even more disappointment!
Get in touch with us on @thelazycouch on twitter, or search for ‘the lazy couch’ on facebook and instagram.
Episode 95. Recorded Thursday 28 December 2017.
00:00 – Intro and The Last Jedi talk
03:57 – Themes and memes
- Tech/Silicon Valley sucked in 2017
- Rise (and fall) of Bitcoin and crypto-currency
- Smart speakers (e.g. Google Home) go mainstream
- Disney owns EVERYTHING | cnbc
11:49 – 2017 in tech
19:08 – Best of the app stores
26:46 – Few of our favourite things
- GK – Great American Solar Eclipse
- KL – Baby
- Tech purchase
- GK – Oculus Touch controllers
- KL – Garmin Forerunner 235
- Geoff’s fave films –
- WIND RIVER
- SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING
- honourable mentions – GET OUT, LOGAN, THE LAST JEDI
- Kelvin’s fave TV –
- RICK & MORTY
- GAME OF THRONES
36:59 – 2017 Predictions report card
- Geoff – 0.25 out of 3
- Kelvin – 1.5 out of 3
40:50 – 2018 Predictions
- Kelvin’s top 3 –
- Geoff’s top 3 –
- Apple will produce a ‘hit’ TV show (on the same level as Stranger Things, Rick & Morty)
- Zuckerberg will announce that he’s running for POTUS 2020
- LOGAN will be nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars
The Lazy Couch is a geek culture podcast hosted by Kelvin Lee and Geoff Kim, based out of Sydney Australia. Topics range from the latest trends in technology to comic book movies and all things geeky. If you enjoyed listening to us, you can help the show by leaving us a review on iTunes or get in touch with us on @thelazycouch.
The outro music is ‘Sorry’ by Comfort Fit.